About Prep » History

History

 
 
Black and white photo of first graduating class of 7 girls
 
 
 
500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.



In 1937, the school moved to a new permanent campus (now part of Kirtland Air Force Base). Mrs. Simms commissioned architect John Gaw Meem to design the school complex in the territorial style. By 1938, the school had 75 students, nine of whom were boarders, and 18 teachers. In 1942, due to World War II, Sandi­a School closed. A number of alumnae from the first Sandi­a School actively participated in the organization of the current Sandia Preparatory School.

Constant Possum: A History of Sandia Preparatory School by former SPS archivist and faculty member Lou Liberty.

Transitions and Legacy - SPS at 50 also written by former SPS archivist and faculty member Lou Liberty, was published as a supplement to Constant Possum.

 

Copies of these books are available through Sandia Prep. To receive a copy, please contact the Sandia Prep Alumni Affairs Office at alumni@sandiaprep.org.